Explore with us the beautiful city of Heraklion with direct flights from Larnaca! Heraklion is the capital of Crete and one of the Mediterranean region''s most fascinating and vibrant cities. It is full of places to discover. With the current efforts to open up the wonderful mediaeval city centre, it speaks to us of a past full of history and great events that reflect its location at the crossroads of three continents. It offers a wealth of museums, a summer-long arts festival, historical sightseeing, amazing nightlife and events throughout the year. Whatever the purpose of your visit, your stay in Heraklion will be one to remember. Crete is an ideal destination for Cypriots as there are many similarities between these two islands. The beautiful beaches of Crete, the similar traditional and cultural events and the hospitality of Cretan people are making Crete a great destination.
Reasons to Visit Heraklion
Looking for reasons to visit Heraklion? Explore them below!
If you're planning a trip to Heraklion , definitely don't miss the top sites and places of interest that make Heraklion remarkable. The port, the great number of museums, the lion square and Knossos which is some kilometres away, are things you must not miss when visiting Heraklion.
Knossos - Knossos is the largest Bronze Age archaeological site on Crete and has been called Europe's oldest city. Settled as early as the Neolithic period, the name Knossos survives from ancient Greek references to the major city of Crete
Heraklion Archaeological Museum - It is one of the greatest museums in Greece and the best in the world for Minoan art, as it contains the most notable and complete collection of artefacts of the Minoan civilisation of Crete
Koules fortress - The Koules or Castello a Mare is a fortress located at the entrance of the old port of Heraklion. It was built by the Republic of Venice in the early 16th century, and is still in good condition today.
Historical Museum of Crete - The Historical Museum of Crete was founded by the Society of Cretan Historical Studies in 1953 and is housed in a neoclassical building of significant architectural merit in the city of Heraklion.
Agios Minas Cathedral
Natural History Museum of Crete - Opened in 1981, the natural history museum offers an earthquake simulator & activities for children.
Lions fountain - Bustling, tavern-lined square centred on a 1600s Venetian fountain with 4 water-gushing lions.
Nikos Kazatzakis Museum - The Museum is located in Myrtia. It is 20 km south of the town of Heraklion and it is dedicated to the life and work of the famous writer Nikos Kazantzakis
Fortifications of Heraklion - The fortifications of Heraklion are a series of defensive walls and other fortifications which surround the city of Heraklion in Crete, Greece. The first city walls were built in the Middle Ages, but they were completely rebuilt by the Republic of Venice
Venetian Loggia - Lavish City Hall structure built in the Venetian period with an elegant atrium & hall for events.
From Heraklion also you can explore all the other cities of Crete as Rethymno and Agios Nicolaos is only 1 hour away and Chania only 1 hour and 30 minutes. Heraklion also is only 1 hour away from the famous Elounta, a place which many celebrities choose for their holidays.
Shopping in Heraklion
Heraklion is a lively shopping city with a lot of shops within walking distance. It offers an exciting mixture of modern shops, stock houses, pedestrian areas and galleries.
Daidalou, Dikaiosinis, Kalokairinou and their surrounded streets are full of exclusive fashion and big chains'' shops. Talos Plaza, a shopping center in the costal area of the city, offers convenient shopping in one place.
Open markets are organised every weekday in several areas offering fresh fruits, vegetables and cheap clothing.
Food,Drink & Nightlife
Crete has one of the oldest and most tasty gastronomic traditions in the world, a tradition of tastes, aromas, ingredients and skills which begin from the prehistoric years and continue until today.
The Cretan diet constitutes the subject of study, since the majority of studies demonstrates that the Cretan cuisine is the most characteristic example of the Mediterranean diet.
Visit traditional tavernas or modern restaurants, spread all over the city, and taste their Cretan cuisine.
Heraklion is one of the most lively cities of Greece. You can find something for everyone. Nightclubs with International and Greek music, bars, traditional coffee shops and modern cafeterias are located all over the centre of the city.
Lions Square, Freedom Square (Plateia Eleftherias) and the streets around them are full of bars, cafeterias, tavernas and restaurants. The costal area of the city is also a place to visit with nightclubs and tavernas beside the sea.
During the summer, numerous art festivals and cultural events are organised, with tradional cretan music and modern music, dance and theatre performances.
Visiting Heraklion with children
There are so many fun and educational things to do while visiting Heraklion with your kids. Here's our list of the best places to go.There are an array of activities to choose from that suit children with all types of interests. Check out our local suggestions of where to go and have fun.
1) The CretAquarium is a top choice. It is a 15-minute drive west of Heraklion in Gournes. Children of all ages – and adults – love walking through the halls lined with gigantic aquariums. Children will be in awe as they check out the diverse array of sea creatures that are native to Mediterranean and Greek seas. The CretAquarium also has interactive games for kids to take part in.
2) The Natural History Museum is a great stop for kids because it has a children's area. In this section of the museum there are hands-on activities to keep them busy and learning. Programs include lessons about dinosaurs, caves, sailboats and Mediterranean wildlife. There's also an earthquake simulator which kids find fun and adults find educational.
3 KnossosIt's also a great place to take you child who is fascinated by history and mythology.Knossos happens to be the backdrop of exciting Greek myths. Children will love being on site and hearing how King Minos was once protected by the Minotaur and the labyrinth or about Ikaros who made wings to fly.
4) Labyrinth theme park is inspired by the Greek mythology and the Minoan culture of Crete. There is, of course, a big maze to explore called the Cretan Stone Labyrinth. The goal will be to escape from the terrible Minotaur! Other things to do at this park include watching videos about the Minoan civilisation, educational quizzes, mini-golf, quad bikes and access to a huge garden filled with Cretan flowers and plants.
5) Dinosauria Park is another fantastic theme park in Heraklion. This park, located near the CretAquarium, features some fossil replicas and life size dinosaur models, a cinema restaurant, playground and museum. There's even a Dinosaur General Hospital, where visitors can witness "dinosaur hatches."
6) Minoiki Avli: located on the grounds of the Heraklion Riding Academy in Karteros. This dance show takes place in a stone circular amphitheatre designed after the original at Knossos Palace. During the show, professional dancers wow the audience in their Minoan costumes and perform ancient rituals including the famous bull fighting custom.
7) Watercity Park: Except Heraklion beautiful beaches you can have fun and great time with kids at Watercity Park. Located in Anopolis, a 20-minute drive from Heraklion, your family will enjoy the cool water slides, tide pools and water games.
Many events happening through out the year in Heraklion. If you are there, it would be a great experience for you to join any of these events!
A wealth of cultural events are organised every year. If you wish to listen to the municipal symphonic orchestra or to dance pentozali, you can always find a place to go.
The Municipality of Heraklion is also a supporter of many exhibitions, seminars and other cultural events throughout the year.
The annual Summer Festival lasts from July 1 until the mid of September. It presents significant artists in a festivity of music, dance and colours. Source:www.heraklion.gr
Larnaka - Heraklion
20/4/19-08/6/19;Saturday;LCA 07:00 - HER 08:30;CY460
23/4/19- 04/6/19;Tuesday;LCA 07:30 - HER 09:00;CY460
10/6/19 - 23/9/19;Monday and Friday;LCA 23:50 - HER 01:20;CY460
28/9/18 - 26/10/19;Tuesday and Saturday;LCA 09:00 - HER 10:30;CY460